Skip to main content
Kumar Gaurav of KAANTE (2002)

Nisha goes one on one with Kumar Gaurav, one of the leading cast members of the roller coaster of a film, KAANTE.

After being out of mainstream cinema for a while, Kumar Gaurav is ready to make come back with a bang in Kaante. The film is the first of its kind to entirely be shot in the United States. It just came out and its already being called the number one movie of the year. Read on to find out what Kumar Gaurav had to say.

Nisha Rana: Its quite a rare treat to see Kumar Gaurav starring in a movie. What exactly helps you pick a role? And what infatuated you to pick this particular role in Kaante?
Kumar Gaurav: There's a couple of things that help me pick a role. First, I would have to say the script/story. It definitely has to be interesting and make me want to be a part of it. Second, the role I'm offered, I have to want to do the role, otherwise I don't think anyone can persuade me to take it, and third, the director. The director is extremely important because he's the one running the show, so I have to be not only comfortable with him but also have confidence in him. The reason I chose Kaante was because it was a different subject, and it was quite interesting. It's about six men and their plan and how they go about getting it accomplished, the catch is that one of them is a spy.

Nisha Rana: What was coming back into the mainstream after quite a large hiatus with Kaante like? And tell us something about your character 'Andy'?
Kumar Gaurav: I think coming back with Kaante is going to be a great idea. Kaante is being said to be the best movie of the year, so I think it's definitely the right movie to come back with. My character in the movie 'Andy,' is a computer hacker. He has a wife and a child and is struggling to make it in L.A. He is also a small time criminal and meets the rest of his crew in jail.

"All six of us knew each other very well..."

Nisha Rana: In all your films your performances have been noted and highly appreciated, such as in films like 'Naam (1986),' you have been acknowledged as a fine actor. Then why is Kumar not seen more often?
Kumar Gaurav: Well, I've just been waiting for better offers. The movies being made today are the typical Hindi movie - boy meets girl type of thing, and I have already done that. I've already done my share of romantic movies, and running around the trees singing and dancing. I was just waiting for something different, and when Kaante was offered to me I went for it. See, you not only grow in age, but also as an actor. If I cannot believe in the role or the film, then how will the audience believe in me?

Nisha Rana: How was working with the rest of the cast, especially the Big B?
Kumar Gaurav: Making this movie was so much fun; it was like a big party. All six of us knew each other very well. We got along great; we worked hard during the day and with Los Angeles as our backdrop we partied hard at night. Sanjay and I are family, Lucky Ali I knew from college, I've worked with Manoj before, and Sunil and I are good friends. Well, Amitabh Bachchan has always been like an idol for all of us, so it was an amazing experience working with him. He's a great professional, a great actor and extremely fun. He wanted to be just like us, and the funny part is he was the youngest at heart.

Nisha Rana: What do you think of the music in Kaante? And what would you say is your favorite song?
Kumar Gaurav: I think the music is really good. It's different from a regular hindi movie, because its not something like a song and dance routine, where the lead pair are in the Swiss Alps dancing. The music to Kaante serves more as a backdrop for the story. Well, I like all the songs but I extremely like, "Mahi Ve" and "Yaar Mangiyas.i"

Nisha Rana: What do you have in store for your fans next?
Kumar Gaurav: Well I'm starring my own production on Global Terrorism. Right now the script is being worked on and the cast is being finalized. I will play one of the lead roles but we're still looking for the rest. We will begin shooting in May 2003.

Nisha Rana: Well Kumar, Thank you for taking out time to speak to DesiClub, any last words to your fans.
Kumar Gaurav: Believe in yourself, and your country. Work hard and have a great future. You can do anything you put your mind too.

Post: 2002

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Check out Rajendra Kumar with son Kumar Gaurav. He may not have followed in his father’s footsteps to box office glory but  Kumar Gaurav  shared a close camaraderie with his dad, late  Rajendra Kumar . An actor who earned the moniker ‘ Jubilee Kumar ’, in the 1960s when six to seven of his films ran in their silver jubilee weeks simultaneously, Rajendra, tried his best to launch his son into stardom, and for a while, even succeeded. He produced and starred in  Gaurav’s  debut vehicle,  Love Story (1981) , which proved to be a blockbuster, not to mention established the young actor as a chocolate hero of the 1980s. He continued to produce films for his son –  Janam (1985)  and  Naam (1986) , (the latter also starred  Gaurav’s  brother-in-law  Sanjay Dutt  in the lead). Gaurav went on to win rave reviews for his performance in the Mahesh Bhatt-directed  Janam (1985)  but his subsequent films failed to make a mark at the box office. Forced to take a long hiatus from act
Kumar Gaurav: 'I'm an actor' Finally, at 40 plus, it seems like   Kumar Gaurav's   second innings has actually started. In the news because of his performance in the late Mazhar Khan's much belated Gang, he has also acted in two rather slick telefilms --  Sikander   and   Chocolate , both directed by Vivek Agnihotri -- which are due for release soon.   . He speaks of the experience in rather staccato bursts, as if unwilling to discuss a career noted, more than anything else, for its massive run of ill luck. For   Bunty , as he is fondly known, is acknowledged as a fine actor. His very first film, Love Story, brought him adulation and bouquets in no mean measure. The industry pundits predicted that a star worth watching had been born. Challenging roles like   Janam (1985)   and   Naam (1986)   followed, but he was unable to reactivate the audience's response to successful stars. Though everyone acknowledged his acting capabilities, his career pe
I don’t miss anything about Bollywood: Kumar Gaurav Actor Kumar Gaurav doesn’t harbour any Regrets about turning his back on films. You’ve been dormant in Bollywood  since the early 1990s. What has kept you occupied? Gaurav : I’ve been keeping busy in life. I have a travel business in Maldives and I was into some construction (business). I’ve not been doing films because I haven’t been getting good offers. Nothing interesting has come my way. The day I get one, I’ll do it because I want to believe in it and enjoy it. I just don’t want to do films for the heck of it. Don’t you miss showbiz? Gaurav : I don’t miss anything about showbiz or Bollywood. My stardom was God’s grace and I am grateful to all my fans and appreciate their love for me. But I very much like my space. I’d rather stay with my family than go out. Do you regret making wrong choices in your career? Gaurav : I don’t have any regrets. You win some, you lose some. That’s the journey o