Skip to main content
I don’t miss anything about Bollywood: Kumar Gaurav

Actor Kumar Gaurav doesn’t harbour any Regrets about turning his back on films.

You’ve been dormant in Bollywood  since the early 1990s. What has kept you occupied?
Gaurav: I’ve been keeping busy in life. I have a travel business in Maldives and I was into some construction (business). I’ve not been doing films because I haven’t been getting good offers. Nothing interesting has come my way.

The day I get one, I’ll do it because I want to believe in it and enjoy it. I just don’t want to do films for the heck of it.

Don’t you miss showbiz?
Gaurav: I don’t miss anything about showbiz or Bollywood. My stardom was God’s grace and I am grateful to all my fans and appreciate their love for me. But I very much like my space. I’d rather stay with my family than go out.

Do you regret making wrong choices in your career?
Gaurav: I don’t have any regrets. You win some, you lose some. That’s the journey of a professional.

Didn’t your failures hurt you?
Gaurav: It didn’t hurt me personally. I did a job and it didn’t work. It is the audience’s job to judge us. If we fail, we try again and try harder and if even that doesn’t work, you move on. I don’t run away from anything.

Did you ever feel the pressure of being Rajendra Kumar’s son?
Gaurav: Initially I did feel the pressure because there were expectations because of my dad’s name. But I did whatever I could, to the best of my abilities.

Do you think the industry has been too quick in forgetting you?
Gaurav:If they don’t remember me, it doesn’t matter to me.

Any plans to ever take up direction?
Gaurav: I thought about it at times but soon gave up the idea. It is not my cup of tea.

Are you a recluse?
Gaurav: No. I’m a nature lover. I don’t like the cities. I have a house in Goa and I often escape to spend time there. I like travelling and wandering into the wilderness. I call Maldives my second home and I scuba dive a lot there.

How do you think Bollywood has changed since your time?
Gaurav: Bollywood has become very competent. Technically, it has changed a lot and for better. It has gone to a higher level.

Will your daughters venture into films?
Gaurav: No. The kids are not interested in films. Saachi is studying literature and Siyaa is into fashion designing.

What does their mother do?
Gaurav: My wife does charity and looks after the home. 

Are you happy in life now?
Gaurav: I’m very happy and content. I’m enjoying life. This is the best phase of my life.

Industry speak

SANJAY GUPTA, director
Bunty is a fab actor. He has always been one of my favourite heroes. He chose to not do films because he didn’t like the film offers. After Love Story, there were a couple of wrong choices he made. But he is an extremely chilled out guy. He is a hardcore family man. He’d rather be at home than be on sets.

SHERNAZ PATEL
ActorI remember him as an absolutely giving co-star in Janam (1986). He was very encouraging and created a very safe environment for me to work. We clicked really well. I think he just fell prey to the nature of this ugly business. A person extremely talented and loved by the audiences suddenly disappeared.

Fact file Screen Name: Kumar Gaurav
Real Name: Manoj Tuli
Nickname: Bunty
DOB: 11-07-1960
Movies Done:  27
Acted regularly from 1981-1993 and since then has been dormant
Known for: Love Story (1981), Teri Kasam (1982), Naam (1986), Kaante (2002)
Current profile: Busy with his travel and construction business
Married to: Namrata Dutt, daughter of Nargis and Sunil Dutt, and sister of Sanjay Dutt

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Check out Rajendra Kumar with son Kumar Gaurav. He may not have followed in his father’s footsteps to box office glory but  Kumar Gaurav  shared a close camaraderie with his dad, late  Rajendra Kumar . An actor who earned the moniker ‘ Jubilee Kumar ’, in the 1960s when six to seven of his films ran in their silver jubilee weeks simultaneously, Rajendra, tried his best to launch his son into stardom, and for a while, even succeeded. He produced and starred in  Gaurav’s  debut vehicle,  Love Story (1981) , which proved to be a blockbuster, not to mention established the young actor as a chocolate hero of the 1980s. He continued to produce films for his son –  Janam (1985)  and  Naam (1986) , (the latter also starred  Gaurav’s  brother-in-law  Sanjay Dutt  in the lead). Gaurav went on to win rave reviews for his performance in the Mahesh Bhatt-directed  Janam (1985)  but his subsequent films failed to make a mark at the box office. Forced to take a long hiatus from act
Kumar Gaurav: 'I'm an actor' Finally, at 40 plus, it seems like   Kumar Gaurav's   second innings has actually started. In the news because of his performance in the late Mazhar Khan's much belated Gang, he has also acted in two rather slick telefilms --  Sikander   and   Chocolate , both directed by Vivek Agnihotri -- which are due for release soon.   . He speaks of the experience in rather staccato bursts, as if unwilling to discuss a career noted, more than anything else, for its massive run of ill luck. For   Bunty , as he is fondly known, is acknowledged as a fine actor. His very first film, Love Story, brought him adulation and bouquets in no mean measure. The industry pundits predicted that a star worth watching had been born. Challenging roles like   Janam (1985)   and   Naam (1986)   followed, but he was unable to reactivate the audience's response to successful stars. Though everyone acknowledged his acting capabilities, his career pe