Skip to main content
Kumar Gaurav in an American film

Actor Kumar Gaurav will be seen in a US-produced film about the voyage of the first Indian settlers to Guyana in northern South America.

Kumar has been seen so rarely on the big screen in the last few years. His last memorable role was in Sanjay Gupta's Kaante . But now the actor will return in a small budget American film titled 'Guiana 1838 (2004)'.

The movie, set in the nineteenth century, traces the voyage of Indian workers aboard the ship Hesperus from Bay of Bengal to Guyana. Kumar plays the male lead in the film. He is believed to be the only Indian actor in the movie's star cast.

The movie's shooting and post-production work is already complete. Its New York-based producers are talking to Miramax for its distribution in the US and elsewhere.

'Guiana 1838 (2004)' is made at a marginal budget of $5 million. The movie is likely to release early next year.

The movie is learnt to be directed by Rohit Jagessar. Rohit is an Indian-American of Caribbean descent.

IMDBhttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0428609/

Wikipediahttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guiana_1838

Post: 05th Dec 2005

http://www.apunkachoice.com/scoop/bollywood/20051205-2.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Check out Rajendra Kumar with son Kumar Gaurav. He may not have followed in his father’s footsteps to box office glory but  Kumar Gaurav  shared a close camaraderie with his dad, late  Rajendra Kumar . An actor who earned the moniker ‘ Jubilee Kumar ’, in the 1960s when six to seven of his films ran in their silver jubilee weeks simultaneously, Rajendra, tried his best to launch his son into stardom, and for a while, even succeeded. He produced and starred in  Gaurav’s  debut vehicle,  Love Story (1981) , which proved to be a blockbuster, not to mention established the young actor as a chocolate hero of the 1980s. He continued to produce films for his son –  Janam (1985)  and  Naam (1986) , (the latter also starred  Gaurav’s  brother-in-law  Sanjay Dutt  in the lead). Gaurav went on to win rave reviews for his performance in the Mahesh Bhatt-directed  Janam (1985)  but his subsequent films failed to make a mark at the box office. Forced to take a long hiatus from act
Kumar Gaurav: 'I'm an actor' Finally, at 40 plus, it seems like   Kumar Gaurav's   second innings has actually started. In the news because of his performance in the late Mazhar Khan's much belated Gang, he has also acted in two rather slick telefilms --  Sikander   and   Chocolate , both directed by Vivek Agnihotri -- which are due for release soon.   . He speaks of the experience in rather staccato bursts, as if unwilling to discuss a career noted, more than anything else, for its massive run of ill luck. For   Bunty , as he is fondly known, is acknowledged as a fine actor. His very first film, Love Story, brought him adulation and bouquets in no mean measure. The industry pundits predicted that a star worth watching had been born. Challenging roles like   Janam (1985)   and   Naam (1986)   followed, but he was unable to reactivate the audience's response to successful stars. Though everyone acknowledged his acting capabilities, his career pe
I don’t miss anything about Bollywood: Kumar Gaurav Actor Kumar Gaurav doesn’t harbour any Regrets about turning his back on films. You’ve been dormant in Bollywood  since the early 1990s. What has kept you occupied? Gaurav : I’ve been keeping busy in life. I have a travel business in Maldives and I was into some construction (business). I’ve not been doing films because I haven’t been getting good offers. Nothing interesting has come my way. The day I get one, I’ll do it because I want to believe in it and enjoy it. I just don’t want to do films for the heck of it. Don’t you miss showbiz? Gaurav : I don’t miss anything about showbiz or Bollywood. My stardom was God’s grace and I am grateful to all my fans and appreciate their love for me. But I very much like my space. I’d rather stay with my family than go out. Do you regret making wrong choices in your career? Gaurav : I don’t have any regrets. You win some, you lose some. That’s the journey o